Pre-Conference Program | Monday, April 8
LMA QuickStart® LIVE! – Legal Marketing Essentials
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Are you a marketer with less than five years of experience working inside a law firm? Would you like to refresh your knowledge of the core competencies and best practices of legal marketing? The popular LMA QuickStart® LIVE! program is for you.
LMA QuickStart® LIVE! is a comprehensive program focused on the key marketing and business development issues you face every day. The speaker faculty will offer no-nonsense advice that will both challenge you along with practical tools and skills you can apply immediately.
Director of Business Development
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz PC
Roy E. Sexton
Senior Manager, Marketing
Clark Hill PLC
Increase the probability of success at your law firm. Two law firm marketing veterans will share their experiences in the dynamic law firm culture and tools and insights to help you thrive in the next wave of law firm changes.
You will learn:
- What is unique about law firm culture
- How to raise your profile within your firm and position yourself for success
- How to be a change agent at your firm
- How to collaborate with your firm-wide peers
Business Development Manager
Steptoe & Johnson PLLC
Rachel Shields Williams
Senior Manager, Experience Management
Sidley Austin LLP
What can you do early in your legal marketing career to succeed? Join Gail Lamarche and Nancy Myrland as they share how they advanced their careers over the past 20+ years. Learn how to set and manage expectations with senior leadership, identify ownership of projects and tasks and make yourself invaluable.
You will learn:
- How to identify and use your personal brand to guide your career
- How to communicate and handle your first goal-setting meeting with leadership
- How to identify and develop skills that are critical for success
Director of Marketing and Business Development
Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt PA
Myrland Marketing & Social Media
It’s time to play…LMA Family Feud! Heather Morse and Jonathan Fitzgarrald will challenge QuickStart® LIVE! contestants to answer critical questions that will determine their success, like:
- What battles are not worth fighting with your lawyers?
- What are the best ways to anticipate lawyers’ needs?
- How can you creatively uncover cross-marketing opportunities?
- Who holds the power within your firm?
- What do you do daily that has the greatest impact?
With the top five answers on the board for each question, do you have what it takes to take home the prize? Survey says...
Equinox Strategy Partners
Director of Marketing
Greenberg Glusker Fields Claman & Machtinger LLP
As you navigate the murky waters of legal marketing, you may feel more reactive than proactive, under-resourced, over-utilized and overwhelmed. In this session, you will learn one of the biggest secrets to success: knowing how to embrace challenges and focus on now. By utilizing every resource available to you at the firm, you can provide new and relevant information to every conversation and insights management may not see.
You will learn:
- Using data/metrics to advocate change
- Adding value to every conversation
- Learning as much as you can about your job function, practice areas/industry teams and primary focus of the firm
- Remaining ahead of the curve on business trends in the legal profession
Christine N. Mitchell Harris
Business Development Executive
Foley & Lardner LLP
Adams and Reese LLP
It is often assumed that leaders become validated with titles. But true leaders can come from any place at any time. With teams in the legal industry growing and becoming more dynamic, we all have the ability to lead. This session will explore how to confidentlyexpress your true leadership style and use it to enhance your daily activities.
Join two legal marketing veterans and leadership experts as they reveal how they engage aspiring leaders to find their voice and leverage it in their companies, teams, projects and personal lives.
You will learn::
- What defines true leadership and how it complements the concept of followership
- How to get the most out of team members, no matter what your title
- How to communicate and implement your leadership style with a change of role or firm
Leadership for Lawyers
How do you define your unique path of fulfillment and success? This session will highlight career paths in legal marketing and provide practical tips for professional advancement in the form of a customizable MAP (My Action Plan).
You will gain an overview of the legal market and key players and trends to watch Plus, you will take away advice on relationship building with peers and mentors and networking with lawyers and other marketing professionals.
You will learn:
- Detailed descriptions of career paths in legal marketing, including business and practice development, marketing technology, and communications and media relations
- How players in the legal market interact with legal marketers
- Whom to know, how to meet them, who needs to know you and how to use your GPS to solicit constructive feedback about your performance
- Lessons in staying engaged and preventing burnout and apathy
- Written professional development plan and follow-up resources
Director of Client Service
Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP
Marketing and Business Development Manager
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Hear leading CMOs in the legal industry candidly discuss pivotal moments and skills that accelerated their rise to leadership positions, how they maximize the potential and fulfillment of their teams, what it takes for team members to exceed their expectations, and what a typical day looks like for a CMO (dispelling the myths). Gain practical advice and recommendations to use on your professional journey while networking with some of the best.
W. Allen Fuqua
Allen Fuqua Strategies
Lee Y. Watts
Chief Marketing Officer
Smith, Gambrell & Russell LLP
Kerry M. Price
Chief Strategy Officer
Bass, Berry & Sims PLC
Chief Strategy and Business Development Officer
Burr & Forman LLP
In this “jam session,” we want to hear from you. What questions remain? Did anything surprise you? How might today’s presentations impact your career path? The LMA QuickStart® LIVE! co-chairs will lead a discussion about the challenges you are facing, opportunities you hope to pursue and best practices you need to succeed.