February 27, 2019 | 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
The goal of this webinar will be to provide marketing and business development professionals, particularly those focused at the practice, sector, or office level, with the understanding and tools to lead and implement strategic business plans.
Strategic planning is a discipline and a leadership process. It functions to help organizations figure out where they want to go and how to get there. It is a tool for achieving change. It is an exercise that builds teamwork. It is a system that supports leadership. It is a process that leads to goal-setting. And it is a method for achieving results.
For marketing and business development professionals it can mean the difference between random acts of marketing and having a clear set of strategic priorities to focus on whether at the practice, sector, office, or firm level.
Marketing and business development professionals in law firms can be the linchpins to a successful planning process. They have the combination of skills, attributes, and experience to play a critical role in the planning process for their practice groups, industry teams, and offices.
- access to data and the analytical skills to gather and process the necessary information,
- the project management skills and tenacity to drive the process to completion,
- the interpersonal skills to bring the right people together to create the plan and to keep them at the table, and
- the drive for results necessary to get the plan implemented.
Our webinar will help them put those competencies to work to build effective strategic business plans at their firms. We will provide a manual to guide them through the planning process with examples of effective plans. We will also have attendees work through brief exercises in small groups to help them internalize the takeaways and increase interaction.
Topics to be covered:
- What is a strategic plan?
- What is the benefit of having a strategic plan? What problems can it solve?
- Why do marketing and business development professionals need to know how to prepare a strategic plan?
- Why your skills and personal attributes are a perfect fit for planning.
- The process by which plans are created for the firm’s practices, industry teams, and offices.
- What are the key aspects of a good strategic planning framework?
- How to sell a strategic plan in your firm.
- How you can lead the process. What value can you add?
- Getting to implementation: your skills can mean the difference between success and failure.
- An understanding of strategic planning and the role it can play in helping you be more effective and have a greater impact on your firm’s business success.
- The process for strategic planning.
- The role of marketing in strategic planning.
- What are some barriers to success and how to overcome them.
- How practice, sector, and office plans relate to the firmwide plan.
Who should attend:
Individuals with responsibilities in business development, practice management, industry teams and offices.
LMA Members $10.00
Prospective Members $15.00
Note: You must be logged in to the LMA website to receive the member rate.
BoK(s): Business Development, Marketing Management and Leadership
Add event to calendar Apple Google Outlook Outlook.com Yahoo
No Valid Registration Types [details]
About The Presenters
MARY K. YOUNG
Mary K Young brings a demonstrated track record of corporate strategy and branding success to her work for Zeughauser Group clients. Her practice focuses on the creation of powerful growth plans and brand strategies and the development of high-performing marketing teams. She is known for insightful analysis, producing tangible results, and leading through collaboration.
Mary K established her reputation as a legal innovator during her tenure as chief marketing officer for Howrey. Partnering with firm leadership, she was instrumental in the firm’s strategic planning initiatives and the integration of a major merger partner. She developed and launched new positioning and advertising for the firm and led the development of its new corporate identity. As Howrey extended its footprint to London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris, Mary K developed and implemented the strategic plans for each of those offices.
Before transitioning to the legal field, Mary K served as a Washington-based policy analyst. She then spent ten years as a business director and brand manager for Kraft Foods, where she developed and implemented profit and revenue growth strategies for some of the company’s most important products. In this capacity, she led a team of 50 professionals and had strategy, revenue, and profit growth responsibility for an $870 million business. She subsequently returned to Washington, D.C. as senior vice president of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, responsible for developing industrywide strategy and positioning for the $34 billion distilled spirits industry.
Mary K is a contributor to The American Lawyer and an ALM Intelligence Fellow. She is committed to bringing legal services to those who lack access to critical resources. She has provided pro bono strategic planning services to a number of organizations, including Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services, and The Pro Bono Project of New Orleans. She currently serves on the KIND Advisory Board.
Mary K holds an M.B.A. from the Anderson School of Management at UCLA and an A.B. from Vassar College.
Zeughauser Group is the firm of choice for legal industry leaders seeking to increase competitive advantage and profitability, enhance market position, and strengthen organizational culture.
JENNIFER SIMPSON CARR
If you do not remember your username or password, select "Username and/or Password Help", enter the email account associated with your LMA membership, and follow the prompts. Non-members may also create guest logins.
Any cancellations made before February 26 will be fully refunded. All cancellations made after that date will be billed in full. Registrations may be transferred, however price differences between member and non-members will be billed accordingly.