LMA SoCal is pleased to bring you our February Roundtables! This month we’re doing something different…
Our Member-Only and Senior Roundtables will be the same date, time and location. San Diego will meet in-person for a live video conference with Orange County. Each group will meet in different rooms for the below topics and then both groups will come together for networking, appetizers and drinks. We look forward to seeing you on February 21st!
Thursday, February 21, 2019 | 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
The need to recruit and retain top legal marketing talent remains a constant for law firm management regardless of the ever-changing legal landscape within which we compete. Various market and industry trends will come and go, but the need to define the right roles, find the right people, and keep the right people will always be one of the hardest and most important functions a Department-head performs. Senior legal marketing professionals need to be on the ball when it comes to setting expectations, managing performance, measuring results, staying engaged and keeping everyone happy along the way.
This program will take a peek behind the management curtain to help answer the tough questions we are all asking. Our group discussion will focus on topics such as:
- New Additions: What are best practices for on-boarding and training new team members, including incorporating expertise coming from outside the legal world?
- Team Building and Retention: How to effectively communicate top-down and bottom-up, when/how to delegate, how to empower top performers, and how to create a group dynamic that fosters growth and healthy competition?
- Resource Allocation: What firm initiatives get what staff dedicated to them; what generalists vs specialists are needed; and what cross-training is necessary?
- Performance Management: How to set fair expectations and to conduct effective annual reviews; how to anticipate and guide each team member's move up the career ladder; and how to handle under-performers, including when to cut ties?
- Recruiting and Interview Best Practices: How to get firm approval for new positions, what to look for when evaluating candidates, and what are the top go-to interview questions?
- Stay Sane, and Have a Little Fun!
TO REGISTER, please contact Jennifer Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discussion: 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Networking: 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Crowell & Moring
3 Park Plaza, 20th Floor
Irvine, CA 92614-8505
Latham & Watkins
12670 High Bluff Dr
San Diego, CA 92130
About Our Facilitator
Sarah Costales, Senior Legal Industry Business Development and Marketing Consultant
For the past 16 years, Sarah has partnered with law firms and attorneys to develop, execute, and oversee all aspects of strategic marketing, business development, client relations, and public relations initiatives. Formerly Chief Business Development Officer of a national law firm based in downtown L.A., Sarah now acts as an outside consultant to various firms giving her valuable perspective on how different firms approach staffing this function. Throughout her career, Sarah has worked closely with Firm Management, Practice Group and Client Team Leaders, attorneys, and public policy advisors on strategic planning, business development and marketing efforts, client service initiatives, media relations, and budgeting. She has in-depth experience coaching and training attorneys on sales, marketing, and client relations best practices, and in developing cross-selling initiatives. Specific areas of expertise include: business development/sales; strategic business planning; competitive intelligence (CI); client team development, client service initiatives, client relationship management and client growth plans; attorney coaching; law firm branding and market visibility; public relations (PR); and team management.
About LMA So Cal's Senior Marketer Roundtables
These roundtables are designed for lead marketers and senior business development professionals with 10 or more years of legal industry experience and a title of manager or above. This select group will meet quarterly to discuss business development and firm leadership issues in closed door sessions. If you have any questions, please contact Stefanie Knapp.
Complimentary for LMA Members
Walk-ins are welcome as space permits.