2018 Winners – Technology Management: Website Design and Development – Projects Over $185,001
Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Dinsmore – 2017 Website
Summary: Dinsmore, an AmLaw 200 firm with 600-plus attorneys, had nearly tripled in size over the past 20 years. It now required a website that would reflect the firm’s current position in the marketplace. Specifically, the website needed to 1. Position Dinsmore as a “national” firm capable of handling sophisticated legal matters across broad geographies. 2. Communicate the caliber of the firm and its clients. 3 Position the firm as modern and dynamic — and competitive with the best firms in the United States.
To achieve its goals, the website focused on the following:
- Geographic Reach – Wherever possible, Dinsmore sought to communicate the firm’s national capabilities. For example, the homepage is peppered with stats, graphics and text to communicate this message. Additionally, the website profiles clients coast-to-coast.
- Client Stories – To communicate the caliber of the firm, Dinsmore profiled its prestigious clients located across the United States. To maximize impact, the firm: a. carefully selected compelling visuals for each client story; b. had a “scroll viewer” developed to allow users to quickly scan these items (to see this feature, visit the Experience page and click on an item); c. positioned client stories on both the Homepage and Experience pages.
- Engaging Design – To position the firm as modern and dynamic, the website has lots of cutting-edge, interactive design elements, including a striking homepage animation, scrolling animation/parallax effects and dropdown-style navigation.
The website achieved all the stated goals and specifically has positioned the firm as a top-tier player in the eyes of prospective clients and employees – as well as among the firm's attorneys. Some statistics:
- Traffic and visitor engagement on Partner bios increased dramatically thanks to the use of attorney microsites (e.g., multi-page attorney bios). Avg. bio traffic is up 99.44 percent. Time on bios is up 23.88 percent.
- Overall page views have increased 46 percent and user sessions have increased a whopping 63 percent. This is probably because it is easier to navigate to related content. Even better – the percent of returning visitors has increased by 52 percent.
- The old website had a negligible amount of traffic from mobile devices. Since launch, it’s up to 31 percent and growing!
- The site now appears on the first page of Google search results for topics that the firm most hopes to be found under. This was not the case prior to launch. Overall, the project has been a complete success, receiving positive reviews internally and externally.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Pillsbury Website Redesign
Summary: Web design and mobile integration had improved dramatically since Pillsbury’s last website update. The firm wanted to create a visually appealing website that would utilize the latest tech innovations, offer an inviting user experience and simplify visitors’ interactions with the firm's content. Pillsbury created compelling “To the Point” content, presenting its capabilities and providing thought leadership focused on the firm's clients’ needs and interests.
Pillsbury established a web advisory group of 10 partners from across practices and offices and at diverse seniority levels. CSA then interviewed 16 firm clients, board members and advisory group members, and held a kickoff meeting with the advisory group that culminated in the unanimous selection of a “To the Point” content strategy to drive the entire redesign. Guided by that strategy, Pillsbury's internal team reorganized the firm’s matrix of services and practice areas and then worked with CSA to develop the web design plan. The firm then worked with Rubenstein to integrate technology with the overall web design and content strategy. Utilizing templates, the writers teamed with Pillsbury business developers and lawyers, overhauling nearly all of the website content to create focused and engaging descriptions that effectively highlight the firm’s differentiators. The firm also conducted multiple photo shoots in all 21 offices to attain dynamic, attractive new photos for all of its lawyers.
Pillsbury effectively integrated a fresh approach using the latest technologies to enhance the visitor experience. Feedback suggests that the site is among the most visually appealing of all global law firms. Pillsbury sought to create a more appealing, informative and inviting site. It achieved its goals with a graphically dynamic home page that provides a comprehensive picture of the firm's capabilities and through shorter, focused pages that clearly differentiate Pillsbury from competitors. Its dramatic, strategic content shift led to increased readership, which is critical to communicating the breadth and strength of the firm's lawyers’ skills, and content ripe for social sharing, a focus of the site launch. Further, Pillsbury sought to optimize SEO. Utilizing strategic keywords, it has steadily increased its page-one search rankings since launch. User numbers, sessions and session duration all have steadily increased since site launch. More people visit the site on more occasions, and they spend more time.