Are You Ready for an Elevated Experience in the Mile High City? #LMA20 Will Take You There!
On behalf of the Legal Marketing Association and the 2020 Annual Conference Advisory Committee, we invite you to join us in Denver on October 16-18, 2020, to participate in the industry’s most anticipated event.
At an elevation of exactly 5,280 feet above sea level, the Mile High City has a lot to offer. Pure, fresh mountain air and
crystal-clear blue skies provide the perfect backdrop for a confluence of 1,500 legal marketing and business development
professionals from around the globe. At the brand new Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center, you’ll be immersed in
three days of in-depth programming, including 40 conference breakout sessions.
What you can expect?
Simply put: elevated content in an accelerated format. Sessions will be authentic (no recycled
programming!), inspirational (not overwhelming!), interactive (no talking heads!) and unexpected (did we mention elevated
Aligned with LMA’s Body of Knowledge (BoK) domains, the 2020 agenda features topics such as:
- Business Development: Building a Coaching Program That Your Attorneys Will Love; Chief Marketing and Business Development Officers as Change Agents; Client-Focused Collaboration: Elevating the Role of Business Development; Competitive Intelligence: A How-To Guide; Pitch Perfect: Legal Sales; Strategic Account Management and Client-Facing Business Development
- Business of Law: Aligning Marketing and Business Development Priorities With Partner Compensation…and Vice Versa; Beyond the Billing Rate: Law Firm Economics; Big Four Strategies; Legal Operations; Three Decades of AmLaw 100 Profit Margins: Shapes, Falls and Rises
- Client Services: Addressing D&I from All Perspectives (Including the Client’s Perspective); Engineering Growth: Achieving Next-Level Business Development Through Integrated Client-Centric Tools; LMA’s Next Big Thing: Service Metamorphosis 2.0—What Clients Want; How to Create an Ideal Client Mix to Avoid Non-Billable Burnout
- Communications: Law Firm Brand Design: A Case Study; Interactive Session/Game: Can You Solve Your Next Law Firm Crisis?; How Data Drives the Intersecting Worlds of Public Relations and Business Development; The Power of Podcasting
- Marketing Management and Leadership: How to Mitigate Stress and Make it Work for You; Fastest Growing Law Firms Management Strategies; Pathways to Leadership: The Convergence of Service and Career Leadership
- Technology Management: CRM Clinic; Plaintiff Firm Deep Dive: Gain More Clients Through Strategic Digital Marketing; Inclusive Client Experience Programs
What is unexpected?
This year’s focus on wellness. Early morning exercise classes and mental wellness discussions will be infused throughout this year’s conference, keeping attendees’ well-being in mind.
Speaking of wellness, we are big believers in the power of laughter. Your co-chairs have a few tricks up their sleeves, but what we are most excited about is our Keynote Speaker.
What do The Onion, The Daily Show, The New York Times Best Seller “How to Be Black” and a special skill for working with skeptical teammates have in common? Baratunde Thurston—our Keynote Speaker! You won’t want to miss Baratunde’s insight on getting things done using authenticity, inspiration and sheer willpower.
Please join us and take advantage of the opportunity to expand your knowledge, connect with peers and explore new products and services. This is one conference you won’t want to miss.
Kristen Bateman Leis
Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer
Parker Poe LLP
Chief Strategy Officer
A Q&A Featuring the #LMA20 Co-Chairs
With a new date scheduled for the LMA Annual Conference (October 16-18, 2020), the conference planning team is looking forward to reuniting with the community and engaging in a number of in-depth, elevated education sessions.
We spoke with LMA Annual Conference Co-Chairs Jonathan Mattson and Kristen Bateman Leis to learn what’s new for this year’s conference, what they’re looking forward to and what attendees can plan to gain from the experience.
What are some of the new and different elements of this conference that you’re looking forward to?
We’ve dedicated a lot of emphasis to wellness this year. Of course, none of us could have predicted that we would experience an international pandemic, but the focus on wellness seems to be even more meaningful for us now as we go through a collective trauma. We have sessions on meditation, mindfulness, resiliency and self-care, and a sunrise yoga session is planned. Attendees should look forward to a lot of laughs, too. Our keynote speaker, Baratunde Thurston, is an accomplished comedian and writer. And we hear the co-chairs are pretty funny, too. (Just ask them!)
Are there any sessions or networking activities you’re personally looking forward to?
The committee has had a guiding light throughout the planning process: produce and deliver elevated content in an accelerated format. If you’ve been to the LMA Annual Conference in the past, you’ll recall the General Counsel panel is typically the biggest draw. This year, we created a panel of both in-house counsel and law firm professionals for a discussion on how collaboration and trust create the ultimate framework for success. Additionally, we were able to preview “Can You Solve Your Next Law Firm Crisis?” during its original scheduled time slot on March 26 via webinar. We had very strong attendance and look forward to picking the interactive session back up in October.
What do you hope attendees will gain from the conference that they can implement back at their firms?
LMA’s Body of Knowledge has given us a great roadmap to ensure there is something for everyone at the conference. Sessions range from essential to advanced in competency levels and are broken up into six categories: business development, business of law, client services, communications, marketing management and leadership, and technology management.
New this year and infused throughout the programming are Spark Talks (Short, Provocative, Action-oriented, Realistic and Knowledgeable). The agenda is absolutely stacked with some of the greatest minds and innovators in our industry, and nearly all speakers were able to commit to the new date. This conference will definitely be one to remember.