LMA NY’s Future Leaders Professional Development Series kicked off its first of three panels with a lunch program, “Positioning Yourself for Success” held at Thomson Reuters’ headquarters on August 22.
The discussion offered a dynamic and informative overview on success strategies for navigating areas such as internal/external networking, career advancement, evaluating firm structure and project management. Panelists included Despina Kartson, Global Director, Business Development & Communications at Jones Day; Tammy Mangan, Chief Marketing Officer at Cole Schotz P.C. and Stefanie Marrone, Director of Business Development & Marketing at Tarter Krinsky & Drogin LLP. The lively discussion was moderated by NY Future Leaders co-chairs Rosa Colon, Marketing Technology Specialist at Lowenstein Sandler and Emily Zubkoff, Business Development Coordinator at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.
Key takeaways from the panelists to position yourself for success included:
- Expand your knowledge base: Learn to accept challenges and agree to participate in projects outside of your current knowledge scope. That is one of the best ways to grow as a professional.
- Effectively manage up: Keep expectations as realistic as possible while providing fact-based approaches in response to high-volume of work.
- Have intellectual curiosity: Take the time to learn what the attorneys really do in their area of the law and understand what the firm does for clients by reading information that the firm shares on its web site, intranet and social media platforms. This will help you become a more educated and effective marketer.
- Network internally: Participation and volunteering to help out at internal events increases your visibility and helps you network with colleagues. This helps you develop your personal brand and become viewed as a team player, which is key to building strong relationships with your co-workers.
- Commit to excellence: Go above and beyond, avoid mistakes (and own up to them when you do make them), offer solutions to problems and anticipate needs to help establish yourself as trustworthy and dependable.
The LMA Future Leaders SIG will continue to present LMA members with career development and networking opportunities. For more information on event scheduling, please check the LMA events calendar.