LMASE Board of Directors Spotlight: Amy Norris, President-Elect
Over the past year, I have served as the president-elect for LMASE. In this role, much of my charge has been chairing the 2017 LMASE Regional Conference, or as I like to refer to it, the G.O.A.T. conference. It was a challenge of the greatest kind, with a team of the greatest kind. With the holiday season in full swing, I find myself spending an abundance of time reflecting on the good health, people, and experiences that I am thankful for each day. The friendships and opportunities provided by LMASE are a significant part of my reflection.
Words truly cannot express the gratitude that I have for each and every person who contributed something to this year's conference - no matter how big or small. The sheer fact that a group of volunteers pulled off something of this magnitude - in addition to their day jobs and personal obligations - is nothing short of remarkable. As spoken by Vincent Van Gogh, "great things are done by a series of small things brought together." This year's regional conference committee did more than raise their hand and show up - they committed HARD to ensure that we pulled together the best programming and networking that we possibly could for our membership. The drive and passion that this crew demonstrated was inspiring, and provided a fresh perspective for me (and likely many others) as we look forward. While the many things that mesmerized me about this conference could take up this entire newsletter, I wanted to drill it down to a few highlights.
- By the numbers: 240 conference attendees; 65 pre-conference attendees; despite hurricane threats, we only had 6 cancellations
- Substantial new engagement: 111 FIRST TIME conference attendees
- One-LMA Reach: attendees represented over 23 U.S. States, reaching far outside the Southeast region
- Expanded service partner participation: 33 sponsors, including 9 new sponsors
- Forward looking programming: a phenomenal lineup of speakers and content, including inspiring keynote from Jordan Furlong, Ted-Talk style presentations, a panel focused on diversity and inclusion, as well as a new legal ops focus for our voice of the client panel (to download materials and videos, click here )
- Enhanced Communication and Networking: engaging communication campaign leading up to and at the conference - including a "get to know your attendees" presentation at our welcome reception, the always popular dine around dinners, and a unique CMO/first-timers reception
- Recognizing Creativity and Results: revamped categories for the LMASE Your Honor Awards and "outside the industry" judges
- Giving Back to our Communities: packing over 250 backpacks for the Second Harvest Food Bank with LMASE Cares, and raising $2,000 in less than 48 hours for Hurricane Irma and Harvey relief efforts
Bottom line - this conference, and its participants - from our regional board members and chapter administrator, to the regional conference committee, the sponsors, the speakers, and, of course, the attendees - blew me away. We all pulled off something spectacular and our region should be proud! I am honored and excited to pass the torch to the amazingly talented Ali Ferro and Caroline Yarborough, who were our co-chairs for this year's conference. They will lead planning efforts for the 2018 LMASE Regional Conference, scheduled for September 26-28 in Greenville, South Carolina. Please feel free to reach out to them with any ideas or questions.
Looking ahead, I am excited to step into the role of LMASE President, and to be surrounded by a phenomenal board, full of ideas and initiative. We are planning for BIG things in 2018. Please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to you all being a part of our region's success!