In support of LMA West Cares, LMA SoCal has selected two charities whose mission's improve the lives of children in our local communities. We will be doing a donation drive, collecting items at each of our events from August through October 2018. We are proud to come together and make a collective effort to impact children in our local community. Keep reading to learn more about these charities and the types of items that will help support their mission!
- Since 1983, Make-A-Wish® Orange County and the Inland Empire has granted more than 6,000 wishes to children with critical illnesses living in Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties. A wish experience can be a game-change for a child with a critical illness is the belief and foundation for the Make-A-Wish foundation.
Click here to see the impact of a wish!
- Monarch School has served San Diego for nearly three decades, beginning as a one-room education center and expanding into a K-12 comprehensive school designed to educate homeless youth. The barriers these students face hinder their ability to become contributing successful members of their families and society and place them at a high risk of becoming tomorrow’s homeless adults. Monarch School gives students the skills and tools to overcome these odds.
Click here to learn more about Monarch's efforts to break the cycle of poverty through education.
How can you help?
We will be collecting much needed items at our August – October programs. No donation is too small!
- Backpacks for children ages 2 ½ – 18 (solid colors, think teenagers), gift cards in denominations of $10 or $15 to stores such as Best Buy and Target or generic cards such as Visa and AMEX, craft kits, sports items, new toys such as baseballs, basketballs, footballs, Legos, Nerf, remote control cars or action/superhero figures, new toys such as jewelry making kits, craft kits, hair accessories for older children, make up kits, and anything princess related, new electronic items such as digital cameras, memory cards, or MP3 players, new kid friendly CDs or DVDs such as Disney, PBS, Nickelodeon, Marvel, Action, or Comedy. PG-13 okay for our older wish children, any Disney princess, Disney characters, Nickelodeon, Pixar, Marvel or DC items, new small hand held video games with batteries such as 20 Questions, Battleship, Yahtzee, Uno or Disney, character beach towels, hats, visors, or sunglasses, & family board games.
Note we will be collecting ice-breaker gifts. They will be used to enhance wishes or be used at initial meetings with wish granters as ice-breakers. Our donations will play an important role in the wish granting experience.
We will be collecting the following school supplies for the Monarch School:
- Crayons, colored pencils, scissors, notecards, magic markers, usb, pens (blue, black, red), staples, binder clips, zipbloc bags (sandwich, quart, gallon), hand sanitizer, packets of stickers, pencils, pencil boxes, push pins, classroom headphones, tape (scotch, blue, clear), highlighters, pocket folders, file folders, clorox wipes, baby wipes, presentation tri-boards, playdoh, card stock paper, 1 - 2 inch binder book rings, post-its, expo dry eraser markers, dry erasers, notebooks, tissue, construction paper, pencil grips
- To celebrate student attendance, behavior and classroom performance, Monarch is looking for donations of: passes/tickets to local events, small toys or games suitable for K - 8th, $5 gift cards for smoothie or snacks
Note our donations will help Monarch students and teachers in kindergarten through 12th grade prepare for the new school year.