By Selena Browne, marketing and business development manager at McCandlish Holton
Like so many us who have felt a sense of loss, even ever so slightly, at the cancellation of annual gathering traditions, the LMA Virginias Local Group was sadly facing the fact that our beloved holiday and year-end lunch enjoyed at a local, historic hotel was, indeed, not to be in 2020. However, we re-kindled our collective holiday spirit by shifting our focus from getting lunch to giving much.
On a monthly Local Steering Committee call, we quickly sketched out the framework for our campaign including a $100 give-away, which we would ultimately call, “LMA 2020 Season of Service Initiative.” Truly, like most LMA members, we already had giving traditions or were actively involved in some form of community service. Sharing those endeavors would spread awareness for our causes and enhance our communal joy and passion for giving.
Some of the causes our fellow Virginias Chapter members supported this year include:
- A public high school mock trial team;
- A shelter serving families;
- An international medical project making pediatric surgeries accessible to children in Central America and the Caribbean;
- Resources for sexual assault survivors;
- Neighborhood-based residences for adults with profound intellectual disabilities, and;
- Others that feed and clothe children and families.
There’s still time to join the fun: Tell us how you give before Dec. 17, 2020 and your organization will be entered to win a $100 donation.