Have you noticed the squirrels going crazy yet? They are scurrying around gathering up their acorns, mending nests, and preparing for the cold that is not far off. Anyone other than me feel like a squirrel right now? There is something about preparing for year-end that seems to create more work and more pressure, and gearing up for the finale of my year as Capital Chapter President is no exception. The schedule of 2012 year-end events has the board and me scurrying to create some serious education and fun for our members, so I hope you will all come out to learn, celebrate and network over the coming months.
Here is a quick summary of what you can expect in the next 10-12 weeks:
Programs and Events
- The Future Leaders Shared Interest Group is having a meeting on October 17 titled Law Firm 101. Follow the link to learn more or sign up.
- The Chapter is hosting our 4th Annual Half Day Program on October 24, titled Using New Media to Drive Firm Strategy: Maximizing Social Media, Analytics and Video (click here to register if you haven't already). I am particularly looking forward to the session on analytics, but am also excited to have Kashmir Hill (now at Forbes, but you probably recognize her name from Above The Law) on board to moderate the social media panel, and to hear about how other firms are using video (something I want to do, but haven't had the time or resources to start quite yet). I hope you will be able to join us.
- Save the date for a Your Honor Awards cocktail reception on November 1 where we will reveal our Hall of Fame inductee(s), the Big Idea Winner, and the Member of the Year. This event will be free to members. Additional details coming soon.
- We are in the process of selecting a date and location for our 2012 Holiday Party.
Coming Soon and Other Announcements
- LMA launched a new Web site on October 2 and each Chapter site was also upgraded. Please click here to visit and check out our new and improved site!
- The LMA Salary Survey is scheduled to be distributed on October 15.
- The Chapter and City Groups Call for Presenters were issued on September 13. Click here to submit or for more information.
- Our 2013 Board of Directors slate was approved (see my previous email dated October 2).
So, if you are like me, you are busy preparing for year end, take some time to attend these Capital Chapter events with a bunch of people who know exactly how you feel. We won't tell anyone you've taken a bit of time for yourself.
2012 LMA Capital Chapter President
Ezra Crawford is Director of Marketing at BuckleySandler LLP