Friday, October 24, 2014
Registration & Breakfast: 8:30 - 9:00 AM
Program: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Are you aware of the strategic choices facing your clients over the next five years? Do your clients look to you as a trusted advisor in helping to make these business decisions? To keep lasting clients, you need to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of their business, from day-to-day operations to an understanding of the competitive dynamics that shape their market.
It is simple – the more a client trusts your business acumen, the more likely they are to turn to you for legal advice.
Legal marketers are a cornerstone of this reality. As advisors to lawyers in their marketing and business development, and often as the voice of the client, we have the ability to shape the way law firms cultivate new business and maintain strong connections to current clients.
During this full day program, instructors from MBA Day Camp will demystify these business concepts and showcase key ideas in Strategy, Marketing, Accounting, and Finance – the cornerstones of an MBA – with practical examples and real-world, relevant frameworks.
- Useful frameworks such as Porter’s 5 forces, PEST, SWOT, Technology S-curves, and others
- Review of a Harvard Business Review strategy case to drive home key themes
- Useful frameworks such as STP, 4Ps, 3Cs, Price Elasticity, Hierarchy of Needs, and others
- Focus on legal services – how buyers make decisions, selling the intangible, and others
- Understanding the language of business – interpreting balance sheets, income statements, statement of cash flows, red flags, and others
- Review of two competitors' statements to extract key insights
- Useful frameworks such as Time Value of Money, Net Present Value, Cost of Capital, financial decision making, and others
- Wall Street Journal reader – hedging, private equity, etc.
End to end case study
- De Beers Diamonds
About MBA Day Camp
MBA Day Camp has worked with over 50+ of the Fortune 2000, hundreds of small- to medium-sized businesses, and 30+ of the AmLaw 100 with the Times of London noting “excellent in conveying information in laymen’s terms.”
Aveek Guha, co-founder of MBA Day Camp, has spent the last 10 years working at strategic consultancy Booz & Company, advising companies such as Coca-Cola, FedEx, Caterpillar, Wells Fargo, WellPoint and others on strategy and C-suite initiatives. He currently acts as head of Strategy/New Markets to MJ Holding, the largest distributor of trading cards & novelty items in North America.
His contributions in the area of corporate & business unit strategy include:
- For a $50B beverage manufacturer, supported the definition of a standalone International business, with associated operating model, organizational structure, and decision rights
- For a $90B financial services firm, developed strategies for increasing sales across business units, outlining opportunities to augment funding volumes by $1B
- For a $10B regional health care provider, developed the Informatics strategy, including future state organizational model and investment requirements
- For a $5B insurance provider, conducted broker, agent, competitor, and internal analysis to produce a $10M investment roadmap to drive differentiating capabilities by distribution channel
- For the Chicago 2016 Olympics bid, acted as chief advisor to the Vice Chairman of the bid (Mike Roberts, ex-President of McDonalds), and established elements of brand differentiation and digital priorities
Aveek holds an MBA from the Ross School of Business at University of Michigan and a B.S.E.E. from University of Michigan.
Ranjan Daniels, co-founder of MBA Day Camp, is a strategist, innovator, and founder of Five-Tool Learning, LLC. He helps universities leverage technology to reach new students, optimize resources and improve academic achievement.
For the past six years, Ranjan developed new programs for Kaplan, Inc. that generated more than $800M in new revenue and grew Kaplan University to 50,000 online students. He oversaw online degree partnerships with traditional law schools and led efforts to cross-sell blended/hybrid programs to ground students that shifted 40% of those students online. He also served as an adjunct faculty member, teaching online undergraduate courses in finance and public sector budgeting.
Prior to joining Kaplan, Ranjan successfully launched new products and services for companies such as Berkshire Hathaway, Tribune Company and the City of Chicago. He has worked and consulted with start-ups in technology and consumer packaged goods.
Ranjan began his career in Chicago working as a policy assistant to Mayor Daley, working on matters relating to crime prevention and public safety. He also handled external communications for Chicago’s 911 Center and developed the marketing plan to launch the City’s non-emergency 311 service system.
Ranjan holds an MBA from Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management, an MA from the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy, and a BA in political science from Emory University. Ranjan enjoys running on the lakefront, reviewing exit poll data, breaking down the Cubs roster, and watching his kids discover and learn.
Sidley Austin LLP
1501 K St NW #600
Washington, DC 20005
Registration fee: $299
Registration fee: $349
Click here to register!
Thank you to our event sponsors!
The new LMA event management tool requires logging into your www.legalmarketing.org account to receive member pricing. Just click the registration link below, select "Register Using your Member Account," and follow the login prompts.
If you do not remember your username or password when at the login screen, select "Username and/or Password Help," enter the email account associated with your LMA membership, and follow the prompts. Non-members may also create guest logins.
If you have any registration issues, please feel free to contact LMA Capital Chapter Secretary Katie Munroe at email@example.com.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept credit cards at the door. Any cancellations made by Friday, October 10th will be fully refunded. All cancellations made after that date will be billed in full. Registrations may be transferred, however price differences between member and non-members will be billed accordingly.
Interested in attending other upcoming LMA Capital Chapter events?
Click here to view the schedule.