The Future Leaders SIG recently hosted their first 2014 Brownbag Lunch event “From Coordinator to Manager: How to Make it Happen.” This event was targeted to those in their first five years of legal marketing and focused on what coordinators can do right now in their careers to elevate themselves for the future. The panel, which was comprised of seasoned professionals in the industry, answered questions from the audience and provided first-hand experience and insights into moving up the ranks in one’'s legal marketing career. Some key takeaways included:
- Learn to manage up: Know your manager’'s work style so you can work more effectively. Go above and beyond the tasks assigned to you so that you can enhance your manager’'s work.
- Keep your eye on the future: Always have a plan for your next move. You are interviewing for your next job every day you step into the office, write an email, interact with your co-workers, etc.
- Pick you battles: Know when to say yes, and when to say no. Fight only the most, most, most important ones, and let the rest go.
- Understand the business of law: Know how your firm makes money and spends money, and know what’'s going on in the world that might affect your firm.
- Dress and act like a manager: Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
Thank you to Jennifer Bonesteel, Deirdre Christin, Michelle McWhinney, and Rachel Shields Williams for being on the panel, and for providing such candid and informative advice.
Our next Brownbag lunch event is June 26 – “Law Firm 101” We hope that all those who are new to legal marketing can make it. If you are interested in joining the group, please contact Kara Kane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Michelle E. Gamlen, Senior Business Development Coordinator, Steptoe & Johnson for the March/April 2014 issue of the Capital Ideas Newsletter.