Position: Business Development Supervisor - Litigation
Location: Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, PA
Date Posted: February 6, 2014
The Business Development Supervisor will take an active role in working to expand business, improve profitability and increase the profile of the Labor and Employment practice group and other practice groups and projects as assigned. This position works closely with the growing and energetic firmwide marketing team of more than 60 professionals and is responsible for coordinating marketing and communications activities.
- Work with Practice Group leaders, other attorneys and BD Team to support business development, key account management, marketing, and client relations’ efforts to grow revenue in new and existing clients.
- Collaborate with firm resources to prepare market research and client analysis to identify industry trends and new business development opportunities; assist attorneys in pursuing leads.
- Effectively manage and implement business development and marketing activities through:
- Teaming with attorneys, business development and marketing on internal and external communications, including collateral materials.
- Developing credentials for use in marketing materials, RFPs, and other pitch responses, including the collection and maintenance of case/matter information;
- Drafting and editing practice area descriptions and attorney biographies;
- Supporting practice and firm marketing and public relations initiatives, including awards/directories submissions, with assistance from the marketing group;
- Managing and effectively utilizing client information through the firm’s CRM system;
- Cataloging and assisting with thought leadership opportunities, including speaking engagements and writing and blog postings—both for Reed Smith publications and externally with professional and trade organizations.
- Maintain group mailing lists within the firm’s CRM.
- Track new business opportunities in the firm’s CRM system.
- Assist in coordination and strategic planning related to local and national conferences, client seminars and sponsorships including budgeting and tracking associated costs. Monitor and report on appropriate Practice Development budgets.
- Work with the senior BD leadership to integrate lateral partners into the practice.
- Work as an active member of a team to ensure a quality professional product as well as the delivery of materials within established timeframes.
- Assist practice group and BD team with special projects, as assigned.
Equipment to be Used:
Must be able to operate computer and other office machines such as fax, calculator, telephone, etc.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment such as computers, fax machines, calculators, telephones, etc.
Typical Mental Demands:
Requires the ability to multi-task and handle projects from various individuals. Must also address diverse issues on a daily basis. Must be able to handle stressful situations and interact with various personalities at all levels in the Firm. Must be able to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Must be able to grasp and apply new ideas.
Sometimes called upon to work in excess of 40 hours per week. Works in a typical office setting. Limited travel may be required.
Education: College degree in Marketing or related field required.
5+ years experience in a marketing-related field required, including 2+ years of law firm or professional services experience. Previous experience in marketing and business development disciplines, including business development, marketing communications, public relations, events and media relations a plus. An interest in and ability to understand the legal business environment, including industry terminology a must. Must have demonstrated experience working independently as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment.
Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong computer skills, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as willingness to learn database systems. Must be detail oriented, proactive and self-directed with ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities under tight deadlines. Sound professional judgment and a high degree of poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts. Demonstrated ability to establish effective firmwide working relationships with individuals at all levels. Must be able to react to difficult situations quickly, effectively and diplomatically. Exceptionally strong organizational, project management and problem solving skills are required for this role.
Salary Range: $65,000 -- $75,000
Debra Keenan, Manager
Reed Smith LLP
20 Stanwix Street, Suite 1200
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
No phone calls, please