Date Posted: October 5, 2016
Title: Business Development Manager
Reports to: Marketing Director
The Business Development Manager supports the Firm’s client service and business development initiatives with the ultimate goal of growing client relationships, driving and growing revenue. The Business Development Manager works closely with the Firm’s Marketing Committee, Marketing Director and Executive Director to prioritize and manage business development projects supporting the Firm’s strategic plan, including client development, client service/feedback program, account growth and cross-selling. This position supports business development activities such as research, writing for pitches, proposals, RFPs and other marketing materials. This position will also be expected to attend relevant industry trade association meetings.
Cohen Seglias is a dynamic law firm that has grown from a three attorney construction practice to a Firm with sixty attorneys across the Mid-Atlantic region. The Firm represents clients nationally in industries ranging from construction, development, and real estate to manufacturing, transportation, technology, hospitality, and professional services. It is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to develop strategic business development initiatives for the Firm’s attorneys and practices, as well as cultivate relationships with clients and prospects to drive business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with the Marketing Director, Executive Director and Firm management to develop a comprehensive business development strategy for the Firm and its practice areas complementing its strategic plan. Focus will be on both the construction practice and on other growing practice areas.
- Identifies business development opportunities including reconnecting with dormant clients, coordinating attorney teams to pitch new business, and drive such opportunities from concept to execution.
- Interacts closely with the Marketing Director ensuring synergy between Firm marketing and business development goals.
- Works with the Firm's attorneys to identify target areas/industries. Develops and executes strategic client and business development efforts that support practice area growth initiatives. Works with partners and practice leaders to develop business plans that result in new business wins.
- Manages the Firm’s RFP process, writing responses, coordinating attorney teams and tracking outcomes.
- Manages and participates in the Firm’s client feedback program.
- Supports the creation, development and assembly of collateral materials to support business development efforts.
- Drafts and manages the Firm’s submissions to major directories such as Chambers and leverage rankings in business development materials.
- Increases the Firm’s visibility in target industry sectors and markets through networking, participation in industry organizations, developing high-value opportunities and business connections for attorneys, building relationships and developing qualified client leads.
- Manages systems and processes to track, measure and report on results of business development initiatives.
- Attends and participates in practice group meetings; reports to each practice on their initiatives and results.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- Gathers intelligence on emerging market, industry trends and Firm clients to provide attorneys with an understanding of the competitive landscape and to position the firm for increased effectiveness in winning new business.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Works effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking skills and the ability to juggle competing priorities and personalities.
- Functions independently with minimum supervision and has self-initiative.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, goal-orientation, and a demonstrated pattern of achievement.
- Exhibits an outstanding work ethic and professionalism.
- Strong client service focus, demonstrated success in deepening client relationships and participation in business development activities.
- Proactive, motivated and detail oriented.
- Excellent communication, presentation and business writing skills.
- Significant project management and strategic planning abilities.
- Excellent time management, judgment, decision-making, and problem solving skills.
- Thrives in both individual and collaborative team environments.
- Bachelor’s degree required, a major in marketing or business preferred, advanced degree a plus.
- 5+ years of client-facing business experience in a professional services environment, law firm environment preferred.
- Working knowledge of the construction industry is a plus.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite (including PowerPoint).
- Experience with marketing software databases, InterAction preferred.
Cohen Seglias is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against employees or applicants based on race, color, sex, pregnancy, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veterans’ status or military affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, union affiliation (if any), or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.